Attention to Detail in American Patchwork & Quilting (June 2011)

Quite a few of you have written to tell me you saw my Attention to Detail table runner in the current (June 2011) issue of American Patchwork & Quilting.  Some wondered why I hadn’t posted about it on the blog.


Well, the reason is that my little tablerunner is late returning to me.  It  had tagged along American Patchwork & Quilting staff and done some traveling to quilt guild meeting(s?) since the publish of the magazine.


It’s back with me now!  Got it yesterday.  Being featured in American Patchwork & Quilting is another first for me.  So I am super excited about it.


You can see the applique is poofed up from being quilted over Hobbs Tuscany Wool batting.  For the actual quilting, I used YLI 100 silk instead of my usual Aurifil Mako 50 Cotton to give the overall quilting a finer look.  The fabrics are a combination of Anything but the Kitchen Sink, Jinny Beyer Palette, and Pindots – all by RJR.


Taking a little detour here… These butter leaf cookies are the STUFF!  I had picked up a box of the cookies at the store because they were on sale.  Now, I wish I had picked up ten boxes instead of one.  They taste a lot like the Danish cookies I used to love when I was a child, except they are much richer !!!


Back to quilting, the magazine showed my quilting schematic on one of the pages.  Take a look for ideas if you have trouble deciding what to quilt on a block like the one featured in the project.

Thanks for stopping by.  I hope you have a lovely day.  Now for the very serious question of the day:  Are you a fan of those Danish cookies I talked about?

Dancing Daffodils in Quilter’s World’s FRESH CUT QUILTS FROM THE GARDEN (Spring 2011)


My Dancing Daffodil quilt made cover quilt for Quilter’s World’s Special Interest Publication for Spring 2011! YAY, yay, yay!


I received the quilt back from the editor, together with my complimentary copies!! So now I can show you some close-ups. I had told you a few weeks ago this quilt comes with a story. So here goes…

It was late September I received a phone call from Quilter’s World editor about working on Dancing Daffodil for a feature in Quilter’s World Spring Special Interest publication. I hesitated to say yes because I already had a whole host of projects that I needed to complete by mid-October. The Dancing Daffodil quilt was due around the same time. So, I told the editor I would have to think about accepting the assignment.


And think about it I did. I remembered staying up at night thinking about it. I called the editor back first thing the following Monday and told her “YES!”.


Then, it was time to work on the quilt. The blocks weren’t difficult to piece: they were made of squares and half-square-triangles, and VERY many of them! Just the quilt center has a total of 720 patches! So, you can imagine the amount of time just constructing those blocks!


As a result, this quilt was affectionately dubbed the “killer quilt”. I remember showing the finished top to my Melinda and my brother when they came to visit, and noted to them how heavy the quilt top was because of all the fabrics. I was able to get the quilt completed in about four days, and Melinda actually babysat Miss Baby while I raced to the post office to mail it off!

Though simple in construction and block layout, the way the blocks were oriented made a nice asymmetrical overall appearance for the quilt background on which I appliqued the daffodils! I love the effect.


Quilting was an overall swirly quilting that I quilted even on the daffodils, giving my daffodils petals some texture. I used Aurifil Mako 50 cotton thread for quilting, and Hobbs Tuscany Silk for batting. Fabrics are RJR‘s Anything but the Kitchen Sink and Pindots.


I was told about Dancing Daffodils making cover quilt earlier this year, and I was beside myself! Since then I had been dying to see how it was photographed for the cover, and I have to say… more than pleased can’t even begin to describe my sense of satisfaction seeing the result. It’s FANTA-BULUOS! The bicycle, the mixed flowers — they made the presentation of the quilt!


If you haven’t browse through this particular publication, you need to! The editorial staff did a great job presenting different quilt projects. What I really liked about it is that they categorizrs the featured Fresh Cut Garden Quilts into categories like: Formal Garden, Wildflower Mix, Bud Vases etc. I am so glad I accepted the assignment when I did, or I wouldn’t have been able to share my Dancing Daffodils quilt with my quilting friends!


That’s all the time I have to post today. I need to get dinner ready – it’s spaghetti tonight. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great week ahead!