Summer Smocking DONE!

The smocking on the summer playdress I am making for Baby is done.   I used the free smocking plate on Creations by Michie.  This is the smocking before I took the dress off the smocking board:

This is what it looks like after the little flowerettes were added.  I REALLY like the scallop effect of the last two rows:

I thought I would show you a few things I do to make smocking easier for me when I smock a bishop on the smocking board.

1. I mark the center two pleats with a pin.  The pin stays there as long as the dress is pinned on the smocking board.  That way, I don’t have to search for the center marked with the fabric marker prior to pleating if I ever have to reference the center at any point during the smocking process:

2.  I always smock multiple rows at a time to check that my counting is correcting during the smocking process.  There is nothing more annoying to have take out stitches in the previously stitched row when I realize I have made a mistake somewhere in the previous row while stitching a current row.   So I have started stitching at least three rows at one time.

3.  I have a magnet in the center of the board to keep my needles.  I placed a thumb tack in the center, and then, a small magnet on top for a make-shift pin-cushion to keep track of my multiple needles.  Works out wonderfully for me.

4.  I also use these nifty 1/2″ applique pins made by Clover to pin my dress to the the board instead of the smocking pins with the orange tops.  The tops come off too easily for me when I I pull them out.  The applique pins work out splendidly for me, and I think I got 100 of them for under $5.

Now, it’s time to construct the garment – not my favorite thing to do for those of you who have known me for a while.  But I shall persevere.  And, Annelle, guess who’s going to beat down your door for a visit in the very near future..?! ;)

Thanks for stopping by.  I hope you have a lovely start to another new week.

Fall is in the floss!

… embroidery floss, that is!

I have had a full year, to say the least…. and as a result, I can’t quite believe that fall is upon us in the Northern Hemisphere. The air is a bit nippy these days, but my mind seems to refuse to admit that we have barely three months left in the year…. until… I started on my new smocked bishop over the weekend:

pumpkin patch1

There is no denial any longer!!! Fall is indeed here! Hopefully, I will get this dress completed in time for our date at the Pumpkin Patch!

Thank you for stopping by! I bid you a lovely fall day. I have some quilt pictures for you in the next couple of days – stay tuned! Meanwhile, I must get back to my log cabin quilt!

New smocking project

I will be a smocking fool for the next few weeks as I am getting some fall/Christmas dresses made. I thought I would show you one of the projects underway. This is going to be a smocked bishop with a matching bonnet. What can I say? I just love the timelessness of bishops!

I learned to smock a little smarter this time. I did the first row (cable stitch) and second row (trellis) simultaneously so that the trellis row was the check for the first row in order to avoid un-stitching! Worked like a charm!!!

bishop_Williamsburg1

I absolutely love this cluny lace – it really adds to the Old World look of the fabric:

bishop_Williamsburg2

I shall have more pictures to show you once more progress is made! Thank you for stopping by. Have a great day. The coolness of fall is slowly upon us… I have enjoyed the cooler weather!  Have a fantastic weekend.

One last note: If you are a Jeannie Baumeister fan, she has a treat for you! She now has a blog tutoring us on heirloom sewing. Woo-hoo!