The deep quilt-y and philosophical question of the day: are my scrappy quilts really scrappy?
1. A scrappy quilt seems to happen when many fabrics are incorporated in the quilt, even when the fabrics are rather carefully selected. I went to the quilt shop and picked out all the fabrics with this quilt in mind. The fabrics weren’t pulled randomly from my stash. I actually did not have a stash back then because this quilt is actually my first ever quilt, now in possession of Miss Baby’s cousin.
And after that, came this Kitty Collage quilt that used some of the leftover stash, plus additional selected fabrics.
2. A quilt can still take on a scrappy look with fabrics from only one single fabric collection with using as many fabric swatches, and in no particular order. Such is the case with Scattered Leaves (this collection has at least 25 fabric swatches, I think – and most of the swatches are represented in the quilt),
and Country Breeze.
3. A scrappy quilt tends to also happen when one raids one’s stash, and picks out and decides on fabrics going into the quilt. Here is a picture of my WIP quilt (progress is slower than snail). This block alone as 12 fabric swatches. This quilt is going to have 20 blocks. I am going to try my hardest to use different fabrics to go into each block, and see just how many fabric swatches I can pack into this quilt by the time everything is said and done.
“…I guess I use my fat quarter bundles on my scrappy quilts. That kind of makes it a controlled scrappy…”
A few thoughts:
1. Looking at my scrappy quilts, I can see that mine are rather “controlled” too. I don’t think I have never done a “grab-bag” random approach to my fabric selection for my scrappy quilts. Since I am definitely controlling my fabric selection, does that mean my scrappy quilts aren’t really scrappy?
2. I observed from the quilts above, though tended toward the scrappy side, there are still a couple of “constants” in the quilt color scheme. For example, the navy in Rainbow Ketupat. Does a quilt still considered scrappy with the presence of those “constants”?
How about your scrappy quilts? Do you “control” your fabric selection, or do you truly randomly pick out the fabrics? Question is, I think this rather inexperienced quilter needs someone to tell her the official definition of scrappy quilts, if there is one.
Keep your thoughts coming!