For the remix, I first mirror-imaged the original pattern. I decided to veer just a little from the traditional wholecloth look, and give it a little more interest. I appliqued the bird instead of just quilting it:
I decided to also quilt the central motif with a contrasting thread, instead of a matching thread. You can’t quite see it because of the marking I have done on the quilt top. I will show the finished work once I am finished with this little wallhanging and have the marking washed off:
I wanted to audition some threads for the bigger wholecloth that I have in mind to make. So, I used some different color threads for the background feather quilting that is done without marking. I love the look of using feathers as background quilting instead of the usual stippling because the feathers just add so much more interest to the piece:
I would love to see this quilt pattern done in redwork or as a hand stitched/embroidered central motif on a quilt block, and compare the effect. Maybe one of these days… :)
Meanwhile, you all have a wonderful day!
p.s. We did get some rain today!!!